For Immediate Release: December 1, 2010
Media Contact: Kate Wynne, Director of Donor Relations 337.769.4844
St. Mary Parish Community Fund Awards First Grants to Eight St. Mary Parish High Schools,
Fund Established to Improve Community through Philanthropy
Lafayette, LA - The St. Mary Parish Community Fund, an affiliate of Community Foundation of Acadiana, awarded its first grants on November 30, 2010 in the amount of $1,000 to each of the eight high schools in St. Mary Parish. As an affiliate of Community Foundation of Acadiana, the fund was established with a separate board of directors, specifically for the benefit of St. Mary Parish.
The first grants emphasized education and were made to recognize the eight St. Mary Parish high schools for their efforts to promote student achievement. The funds are to be used for products, programs, or services in order for each school to encourage students to excel academically. The St. Mary Parish Community Fund seeks to serve as partners in improving the quality of life in St. Mary Parish; therefore, its first grants emphasized this mission, and were made as an investment in the students of the parish in an effort to make the communities a better place to live.
The following high schools received grants from the St. Mary Parish Community Fund:
- Dr. Derric White (principal) West St. Mary High School, Baldwin Louisiana
- Mr. Tybus Burdett (principal) Franklin High School, Franklin, Louisiana
- Mr. Mike Galler (principal) Centerville High School, Centerville, Louisiana
- Mrs. Rachael Wilson (principal) Patterson High School, Berwick, Louisiana
- Dr. Buffy Fegenbush (principal) Berwick High School, Berwick, Louisiana
- Mr. Mickey Fabre (principal)Morgan City High School, Morgan City, Louisiana
- Deacon Vic Bonnafee (principal) Central Catholic High School, Morgan City, Louisiana
- Dr. Vincent Miholic (principal) Hanson Memorial High School, Franklin, Louisiana
The purpose of the St. Mary Parish Community Fund is to fund programs which broadly impact St. Mary Parish and to focus on enhancing the quality of life in St. Mary Parish. As an affiliate, the Fund utilizes the resources, infrastructure and professional management of assets of Community Foundation of Acadiana while utilizing its own board of directors to focus its attention on improving the community and growing philanthropy in St. Mary Parish.
2010-2011 St. Mary Parish Community Fund Board of Directors:
- Joe Sanford, Chair (Morgan City Rentals)
- Donna J. Tesi, Vice-Chair (M.D.)
- Larry Callais, Secretary/Treasurer (M C Bank & Trust Co.)
- Daniel T. Conrad (Conrad Shipyard, LLC)
- Rebecca Conrad
- Marshall W. Guidry, CPA (Kolder, Champagne, Slaven & Company, LLC)
- Gregory J. Hamer, Sr. (B & G Food Enterprises, LLC)
- Alfred S. Lippman, Ex-Officio (Lippman, Mahfouz, Tranchina, & Thorguson, LLC)
- Patrick Little (Teche Federal Bank)
- Alice G. Pecoraro, Ph.D., Ex-Officio (Retired, Nicholls State University)
- Tonya M. Stiel
- Craig Thomson (Hebert & Thomson Insurance Agency)
For more information, to make an end of the year tax-deductible contribution to the St. Mary Parish Community Fund or to establish your own named charitable fund, contact one of the aforementioned directors or Raymond Hebert, CFA Executive Director at 337.769.4840. Information can also be found at http://www.cfacadiana.org/
, click "Affiliates and "St. Mary Parish.
Pictured Left to Right: Raymond Hebert (Executive Director CFA), Marshall Guidry, Craig Thomson, Alice Pecoraro, Tybus Burdett Principal Franklin High School, Dr. Derric White West St. Mary High School, Dr. Vincent Miholic Hanson Memorial High School, Ricky Armelin (Director of Human Resources, St. Mary Parish School System representing Dr. Donald Aguillard, Superintendent)
Pictured Left to Right:
Raymond Hebert (Executive Director CFA), Larry Callais, Mrs. Rachael Wilson Principal Patterson High School, Dr. Buffy Fegenbush Principal Berwick High School, Mr. Miker Galler Principal Centerville High School, Keith Thibodeaux Assistant Superintendent, Joe Sanford)
Pictured Left to Right:
Raymond Hebert (Executive Director CFA), Larry Callais, Mr. Mickey Fabre Prinicpal Morgan City High School, Gerrie Byrne Curriculum Director Central Catholic High School, Joe Sanford, Dr. Monica Mancuso St. Mary Parish Central Office)
About Community Foundation of Acadiana:
Community Foundation of Acadiana's mission is to improve the quality of life in our region by increasing giving, connecting donors to the causes they care about, and providing leadership on community needs and opportunities. Donors establish funds at the Foundation, with any dollar amount, invest the fund, and make grants on fund earnings to fulfill immediate community needs or permanent charitable objectives.
The Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit charity and focuses its primary grant making within an eight-parish area: Acadia, Evangeline, Iberia, Lafayette, St. Landry, St. Martin, St. Mary and Vermilion. The Foundation has assets exceeding $47 million and has granted more than $20 million back into the community since its inception in 2000. For more information visit: http://www.cfacadiana.org/